History of the Loop

Welcome to June Lake Loop Historical Society
Wednesday, July 17 2019 @ 10:59 PM UTC

Welcome

WELCOME to the June Lake Loop Historical Society Website.

The JLLHS was founded in 2009 to honor the history of the community of the June Lake Loop in the Eastern Sierra of California.

The Loop's earliest known visitors and inhabitants were the Kutzadika'a people.  When explorers the likes of Jedediah Strong Smith and Joseph Reddeford Walker passed through the Eastern Sierra in the early 19th century, they took little note of this unique canyon at the southern rim of the Mono Basin.  Although recognized for its natural beauty and water resources, the miners and ranchers of the Bodie Gold Rush era found no reason to settle the area either.  Finally though, with the decline of the nearby mining communities and the interest in hydorelectric energy to supply faraway cities, a project was established to build a generation plant and three high elevation reservoiirs upstream from Silver Lake.  The Rush Creek Power Station was established in 1915, and shortly thereafter. one of its employees, Roy Carson, established a fishing camp on Silver Lake.

By the mid 1920's, and with the building of a trans-Sierra highway into Yosemite via Tioga Pass, June Lake became a popular stop for Auto Tours.  Many famous personalities were known to visit the loop and a variety of shops and resorts sprung up to accommodate visitors.  In the 1930's the City of Los Angeles arrived in the area to build the Grant Lake Dam and Mono Craters Tunnel, which would divert water from the Mono Basin into the acqueduct.  With the influx of workers and industrial activity the town boomed, becoming a full service community and by 1940 there was even a ski area established.  Unfortunately due to the water diversions, the agricultural activities of the Mono Basin;s numerous ranches were destined to end.

In the ensuing decades the town of Mammoth Lakes to the south has taken over the role of the most populous and prominent Mono community: but the June Lake Loop, with its rich history, remains resilient and has continued to fulfill the recreational needs of many generations.

The June Lake Loop Historical Society welcomes any contributions relating to the preservation of our history.  We invite you to attend our meetings and programs where the local history is discussed.  It is also our aim to establish a muserum to display area artifacts, and to preserve and memorialize local historic sites.

Thanks for your interest in the history of the June Lake Loop.

The June Lake Loop Historical Society was originally founded by:
Dan Roberts, President
Max Bowlan, Vice President
Lee Vorobyoff, Secretary
Patti Heinrich, Treasurer
Bev Gilmore and Debi Perilman, Board Members -at-large
Nicholas Faust, Ken Willingham, Andy Gilmore, Al Heinrich, Ron Dunn

Thanks to the County of Mono Board of Supervisors and Counsel Marshall Rudolf  for legal assistance.and support.

the June Lake Loop Historical Society is organized as a non-profit corporation in the State of California, and has been granted tax-exempt status by the Internal Revenue Service under section 501(c)-3.

Trackback

Trackback URL for this entry: http://junelakeloophistory.org/trackback.php/20090315122050835

Here's what others have to say about 'Welcome':

promotiecode from promotiecode
Korting, actie, promotiecodes [read more]
Tracked on Monday, April 09 2012 @ 01:02 PM UTC

Welcome | 41 comments | Create New Account
The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Silver Lake crica 1920
Authored by: Wally onSaturday, August 22 2009 @ 01:06 AM UTC
My grandfather built the second or third cabin on Silver Lake crirca 1920.

I'll post more later once I return from 8 nights at Interlagin. ;-)
Silver Lake crica 1920
Authored by: Anonymous onSunday, September 27 2009 @ 04:12 PM UTC
Do you know my grandmother, Dolores Stuart? She owned the June Lake Liquor Store sometime in the 1930's and 40's. She purchased it from a family friend, Judge Libby. It was called Libby's Liquor Store and Service Station.
Kathleen Bauer
p.s. I would like to know more about your past in June Lake
Authored by: Anonymous onMonday, April 12 2010 @ 06:09 PM UTC
New to this site. I lived in June Lake spring 1979 to summer 1985. Worked for Mono County, caretaker of the community center and Gull Lake Park.

I remember Max Bowlan. He probably remembers me. Often shared that wooden bench at Schat's during coffee breaks. Back in those years, some of June Lake's oldest and long term residents - Betty Bean, Ria Combes, Powder Burns; Wes Johnson, Tad Roberts, Jo Veeker, Water and Gracie Lantz (I have an award ribbon signed by Walter for a photo I took and had in the art show - the photo and ribbon still sits over my desk) and others were still there.

I left June Lake for Wyoming, but then came to Trona two years later. Moved to Big Pine in 1994, still working in Trona until 2004, then since have moved to Winnemucca, Nevada.
Authored by: mame21 onThursday, July 26 2018 @ 10:55 PM UTC
Your blog posts are more interesting and impressive. I think there are many people like and visit it regularly, including me.And I will be visiting oftenly to get to read your articles. hotmail sign up
Authored by: Anonymous onTuesday, July 20 2010 @ 07:10 PM UTC
WHAT IS THE SOCIETY'S MAILING ADDRESS?
I HAVE SOME HISTORICAL PHOTOS TO SEND.

PATRICIA
Bill's Grill
Authored by: Anonymous onSunday, March 06 2011 @ 03:40 AM UTC
Bill Treglown was my foster father. He married my cousin, Martha and we all moved to make a family of ourselves, at Bill’s Grill.
I attended June Lake School, when it was a one room schoolhouse taught by Mr. Eisner. Some of my classmates were, John Krause, Christine Clearly, Bob Eastwood, Leon Smith and many others. I started school there in 1953.
Now, Bill’s Grill, which included a liquor store, barber shop, restaurant and bar was one of the great places in Mono County history. However it might cost a few bucks when you buy my book to know more…. Including Wes Johnson. Father Kelly and many more characters in that distant world I grew up in.
Reach me at thewolfves@yahoo.com
Bill's Grill
Authored by: Anonymous onMonday, July 02 2012 @ 01:00 PM UTC
Larry,

I knew Bill and Martha quite well.
I was a young girl when we moved there in 1944.
We built a rock house above Bud's.
Went to school at Gull Lake Lodge.
The Smiths were good friends. I used to take care of Leon.
Where is he now?
We were "family" to Bearbait. I could tell you stories about him.
Where can I get your book?

Patsy O'Connor (Pat Murray)
Pinehurst, N.C.
910/986-0011
Bill's Grill
Authored by: butchie onSaturday, December 08 2012 @ 11:58 PM UTC
i worked for bill and martha in 1953 I was13years old my uncle was dewy kirk he owend june lake boat landing.I knew bud kline the proles and eve
ryone in june lake every one called me butch edwinwllms@netscape.net
Bill's Grill
Authored by: butchie onWednesday, October 01 2014 @ 09:06 PM UTC
Is martha still alive.

Butch
Camp Culver
Authored by: Anonymous onTuesday, April 05 2011 @ 05:41 PM UTC
My parents came to June Lake on their honeymoon on May 7th, 1951. They are celebrating their 60th anniversary next month.

They stayed in a little cabin at Camp Culver which was operated by the Mumbleau family. If anyone knows anything about this Camp I would be interested in the story.

I have a copy of a post card of the Loop from 1951 to contribute if you have a mechanism to receive and post it. It would be fun to see a gallery of old photos on your web site.
Camp Culver
Authored by: butchie onThursday, January 03 2013 @ 09:23 PM UTC
bill and louise mumbleau live in chino hills ca.threr e-mail is imumbleau@verizon.net send them a message. BUTCH
Authored by: Anonymous onMonday, July 02 2012 @ 12:54 PM UTC
I lived in June Lake in the 40s and 50s.
We built the rock home above Bud Kline's place.
I have some original pictures taken in the area, including one of "Bearbait" out at his cabin. (We were his best friends).
I attended school in what was then Gull Lake Lodge.
Is there someone there I can call, and speak to?
Please let me know.

Many thanks,

Patsy O'Connor Murray
Dewey Lindley - step dad
Charlotte - mother
Authored by: butchie onSunday, August 25 2013 @ 05:00 PM UTC
you must of new the prole sisters. louies market
Authored by: Anonymous onSunday, August 05 2012 @ 04:47 AM UTC
Hi everyone a newbie here my grandfather, Arthur S. Jordan with Myra Jordan owned Jordan's Camp back in the 1930's or 1940's not sure of all the history of Jordan's Camp but we have pictures of catches of the trout, and the cabins and my family In fact my mom, Shirley Jordan met my father when he went there with his father to fish. If you are interested in pictures or have some information as to my grand father (never really got to know them) it would be great. I do know that when my grandfather suffered a heart attack it was decided to sell the place I believe in the 1950's some time. Thanks if you have any info.
Authored by: butchie onThursday, January 03 2013 @ 09:26 PM UTC
my uncle owned kirks boat landing
Authored by: sarahlai onSunday, April 29 2018 @ 09:51 AM UTC

It was worth reading all this, such a beautiful and valuable information..

take my online class

Authored by: BrendaNemeth onTuesday, May 22 2018 @ 12:33 PM UTC
Its great to know the history of this. A very important subject. Came up to this site as I am searching for history of Turmeric Curcumin Benefits for personal information.
Authored by: examstrainer onTuesday, June 05 2018 @ 09:58 AM UTC
It is nice article and i like it. Here I would like to introduce. ExamsTrain is one of the most popular exam preparation material provider for roundabout 150 vendors like Cisco, MS, IBM, HP, Dell, SAP etc
If anyone need the actual exam questions, just check it out: ExamsTrainer Practice exam
Authored by: DonaldHarper onWednesday, June 06 2018 @ 07:48 AM UTC

Very Nice Topic, I want to share some information.

I think it’s certainly a great chance for all IT students to pass Microsoft 70-778 exam but you can get success in Microsoft 70-778 certification exam if you choose right platform for 70-778 certification exam which gives you best and perfect preparation material for 70-778 exam by offering you 70-778 questions which effective impact on your actual exam results and it is also your ambition to score good grades in 70-778 MCSA: BI Reporting certification exam.

Authored by: fukuichi13 onThursday, August 09 2018 @ 03:05 PM UTC
Can I share this information with my viewers at mensecretdesire website
Authored by: shawnjasper onFriday, August 31 2018 @ 07:49 AM UTC
Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home.  Dissertation writing services
Top Thingz
Authored by: deserttours onFriday, September 07 2018 @ 04:45 PM UTC
This is useful and interesting data that I can appreciate. You are obviously knowledgeable in this area. You kept this content smart and very engaging. Top Amazing Things
Writing
Authored by: Shaun Micheal onSaturday, November 10 2018 @ 12:59 PM UTC
It is interesting to read your blog post and I am going to share it with my friends.
Authored by: RamindDavis onTuesday, January 15 2019 @ 04:16 PM UTC
If you are writing something unique you must be capable to write and writing is quite a hard job, my friend, check out new articles are my blog because my area of concern is to go through stormscapesdarwin right now and pull things off, check out these articles and share it with your friends and colleagues, we would love to hear more if you really wanted to grow your business.
Authored by: RamindDavis onSunday, February 17 2019 @ 07:17 PM UTC
Really amazing to share my opinion here, thanks for your welcome page shared over here. I am writing now online and that's how I write for openscrolls.org which is a unique and different place for those who are willing to learn something, though your blog is unique but you need to learn some SEO tricks.
Middle Eastern Spices At Best Price
Authored by: hashemsroastery onMonday, February 18 2019 @ 10:23 AM UTC
Hashems Roastery & Market  is best place Middle Eastern Spices for quality products . It is one of the famous and foremost sellers of mixed spices, falafel, baklava, coffee and kebbah.Our main offerings Include Turkish coffee, roasted nuts, middle eastern spices, Baklava, Fresh Baked Pita Bread and many more.  Browse us to know more! You can contact With us your favorite social network!
---
[url=https://www.hashems.com/store/spices-and-herbs]Middle Eastern Spices[/url]
Wedding Rings
Authored by: DymocksBuilding onMonday, February 18 2019 @ 10:51 AM UTC

Visit most unique and Wedding Rings Sydney. At The Dymocks Building, we have 120 outstanding stores including hairdresser, wedding stores, health & beauty. Contact for further info: 02 9224 0444

---
[url=https://www.thedymocksbuilding.com.au/stores/wedding-rings] Wedding Rings[/url]
Shooter Supplies
Authored by: countrywidesport onMonday, February 25 2019 @ 10:26 AM UTC
Want to buy wholesale shooter supplies for your rifle, handgun, shotgun & rimfire? Shop Countrywide Sport for wholesale ammunition. We offer special variety for  self defense ammunition from top brands you trust. We have top brand Federal, Hornady, Malaysian, Alexander, Tula, Wolf, Privi Partizan, Gemtech, Aguila, PMC, Selier & Bellot and many more. We try to gives you best wholesale ammunition products
---
Shooter Supplies
Buy Top Best Sumac Online
Authored by: hashemsroastery onTuesday, February 26 2019 @ 09:55 AM UTC

Buy sumac supplies of the very highest quality at best price. Hashem's Roastery & Market one of the leading online middle eastern market for all your Middle Eastern cuisine cooking products. We have large collection of finest Arabic goods, Baklava, Turkish coffee, nuts, middle eastern spices and much more. Visit us today!

---
Middle Eastern Spices
Authored by: amrit20 onThursday, February 28 2019 @ 07:25 AM UTC
Lucknow Board 12th Result 2019 : Uttar Pradesh Madhyamik Shiksha Parishad i.e UPMSP conducts Intermediate Exams for students of Class 12 every year. UPMSP is the largest examination board in our country.
Buy Baklava Online
Authored by: hashemsroastery onFriday, March 01 2019 @ 10:46 AM UTC

Enjoy the best Middle Eastern Baklava Desserts and sweets online. Visit Hashems Roastery & Market, We provide top quality spices, nuts, coffee, baklava and other Middle Eastern sweets. Browse Hashems.com and get large collection of ingredients for all your Mid-East recipes.

---
Middle Eastern Spices
Authored by: alexanderson74 onThursday, March 07 2019 @ 08:04 AM UTC
Authored by: RamindDavis onWednesday, April 03 2019 @ 06:38 AM UTC
We have really hard to cope up the situation here and never miss a chance to become a part of our system, We urge you to please go through globalschoolchannel.com and guide others as well because it is the best online program which has every bit of information shared over here.
Authored by: RamindDavis onSunday, April 21 2019 @ 07:48 PM UTC
We also say welcome to your friends and community because this is something special which can be different for you all. We are working online through arituckerwrites.com these days and that can be quite different and I am loving to share some information if you want to know about us and services that we offer now.
Buy Famous Brands Of 9mm
Authored by: Cheapammos onMonday, May 06 2019 @ 04:44 AM UTC

Shop Online for 9mm. Visit cheapammos. We provide you top collections of handguns ammo, rifles ammo, shotgun ammo & Rimfire ammo. Here you get good quality of ammunition products with fast shipping.

We are also registered as Ammo Retailers listed on Bulk Cheap Ammo. Compare our deals on all ammunition and cheap ammo deals. We do listed top branded ammo such as: 223 ammo, 300 Blackout ammo, 45-70 ammo, 22 hornet, 5.56 ammo and much more from top retailers. For more information call us now!

Get Top Branded 10mm Ammo
Authored by: Cheapammos onThursday, May 09 2019 @ 05:14 AM UTC
Get best 10mm Ammo at affordable price. Browse Cheap ammos, we offer you the top best quality ammo and top brands available.
---
[url=https://www.bulkcheapammo.com/] ammunition[/url]
Authored by: judobre onTuesday, June 04 2019 @ 04:05 AM UTC
Thank you for sharing the post! I learned a lot from the insight you shared instagram travel
Authored by: RamindDavis onSaturday, June 08 2019 @ 04:45 PM UTC
Welcome to my online page that will assist you a lot, actually welcome page is the pre-phase of the website. I was searching online freelancing websites as I have experience at writing reviews online and believe me that's the most important thing to consider, We would hope a kind reply from your side. Make a smart decision right now.
Authored by: RamindDavis onTuesday, June 18 2019 @ 12:09 PM UTC
We also welcome you all on this page and hope you would love to share the stuff with others. We are planning to provide online assistance, in case, if you need our help you can send us message at imperial-institute.com for free, a person will contact you soon when the team will give a pop-up message and same will be conveyed to you.
Authored by: andrewjohns680 onWednesday, June 19 2019 @ 08:20 AM UTC
Hey, I am Andrew, living in Austin, Texas as a review writer and editor at many Health and Wellness Store including Cianix & Alpha Monster Advanced! I here share my personal experience and customer's feedback and user results on best Health & beauty products they used!Thanks

Sorry, to access this area you need to be logged in as a user. Are you a new user?
:  Did You Forget Your Password?